Comedian Jay Leno is on the mend…again.
Back in November, Leno suffered third degree burns following a fire in his garage. While working on the fuel line, there was a leak and “gasoline sprayed on his face and hands.” There was a spark that “triggered and explosion,” which set Leno on fire. His good friend, Dave, was nearby and acted quickly, jumping on the late night host and smothering the flames.
He had to stay in a burn unit for ten days and had to undergo two surgeries. Leno had cleared his schedule for two weeks. We thought he’d need more time to heal, but he was back on stage at the Hermosa Beach’s The Comedy and Magic Club on Nov. 27. While walking into the venue, Leno told reporters, “I never thought of myself as a roast comic. We have two shows tonight — regular and extra crispy.”
After the performance, one audience member told NBC News that Leno performed for over an hour and “had a lot of stamina” despite what he had just endured. Leno also told reporters that he felt “good.
While speaking with the Las Vegas Review Journal about his return to the strip in March, reporter John Katsilometes asked Leno, “How are you doing, especially after the accident?”
Of course, Katsilometes was referring to the fire.
“It’s so funny you should say that,”Leno said. “That was the first accident. OK? Then just last week, I got knocked off my motorcycle. So I’ve got a broken collarbone. I’ve got two broken ribs. I’ve got two cracked kneecaps.”
Leno explained that the accident took place on January 17 while he was testing out a 1940 Indian motorcycle.
He continued, “I turned down a side street and cut through a parking lot, and unbeknownst to me, some guy had a wire strung across the parking lot but with no flag hanging from it. So, you know, I didn’t see it until it was too late. It just clothesline me and, boom, knocked me off the bike. The bike kept going, and you know how that works out.”
Don’t worry though, folks! He said he is fine and he plans on working this weekend.