This is the secret weapon you need to bring to any Super Bowl party you’ll be showing up at this Sunday!
How could you go wrong with cheese, bacon, and grits – all deep fried and crispy?
That’s right…you can’t go wrong! That’s exactly why you need to run to the store and grab the ingredients for this killer recipe that’ll have your friends and family coming back for seconds (and thirds)!
These DELICIOUS and unforgettable fried poppers are one of our favorite recipes for any occasion, but they come in especially handy for group gatherings like Super Bowl Sunday.
While television’s beloved chef, David Venable from QVC’s In The Kitchen with David, says that these are his go-to breakfast popper recipe, they are a tasty appetizer for any time of day.
Check out the full recipe for these Cheesy Grits & Bacon Breakfast Poppers below and let us know what you think in the comments!
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup instant grits
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar
- 2/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4–6 cups canola oil, for frying
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, 4–5 minutes on each side. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Reserve 3 tablespoons bacon fat in the skillet. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, chop it into small pieces.
- Combine the milk, the reserved bacon fat, salt, and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the grits, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the grits from the heat and stir in the chopped bacon, the cheddar, scallions, and cream cheese. Spread the mixture into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350°F. Or, clip a deep-frying thermometer to the side of a heavy deep pot. Add the canola oil to the pot and slowly heat the oil to 350°F.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a food processor and process until finely ground. Pour the breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl. Put the flour in another shallow bowl. Put the eggs in a third shallow bowl and beat lightly. Remove the grits from the refrigerator. Using your hands, take 2 tablespoons of the mixture and shape it into a ball. Repeat with the remaining grits. There should be 40 balls.
- Roll the balls in the flour, then dip them into the eggs, followed by the breadcrumbs. Using a slotted spoon, add 6–8 poppers to the hot oil and fry for 4 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels and repeat with the remaining poppers. Serve immediately.
You can find this recipe and more from In The Kitchen With David at QVC’s Kitchen & Food Section.