The CMT Music Awards happen each year and winners are chosen based on fan votes, so it’s purely decided on what the country music community feels is deserving!
This year’s awards were co-hosted by music star Kane Brown, and TV actress, Sarah Hyland.
Incredible performances were delivered by Gabby Barrett, Jimmie Allen + Noah Cyrus, Kelsea Ballerini + Halsey, Luke Combs + Brooks & Dunn, Morgan Wallen, Sam Hunt, and Shania Twain.
The nominees for CMT Performance of the Year were:
• From CMT Artists of the Year: Ashley McBryde – “One Night Standards”
• From CMT Crossroads: Brooks & Dunn and Luke Combs – “Brand New Man”
• From CMT Artists of the Year: Chris Young – “Drowning”
• From CMT Crossroads: Halsey and Kelsea Ballerini – “Graveyard”
• From CMT Artists of the Year: Sam Hunt – “Fancy”
• From CMT Crossroads: Sheryl Crow and Chris Stapleton – “Tell Me When It’s Over”
While so many great performances were nominated, only one could take home the top honors for this award!
After a lot of excitement and celebration of the nominees, it was announced that Chris Young was the winner of the 2020 CMT Performance of the Year for his song “Drowning.”
— CMT (@CMT) October 22, 2020
Congratulations to Chris and all the other nominees!
Check out the full music video for Chris Young’s hit song “Drowning” below.