Retired Police Dog Leads Firefighters To Toddlers In Explosive House Fire

About German Shepherd Dog (left) / Man's Best Friend, Heroic & Wonderful Dog Stories (right)

In Seminole County, Florida, Chip Dover and his two sons Andrew Dover and Joe Jordan heard a loud explosion as they were outside looking at the night sky around 11:20pm. When they looked towards the direction of where the noise came from they realized it was their neighbor’s home, and it was on fire!

Posted by Man's Best Friend, Heroic & Wonderful Dog Stories on Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The home belonged to Margo Feaser, the Seminole County, Florida Sheriff’s Department Investigator and she lived there with her husband Brent and their 4-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter.

“We were outside with my telescope, looking at Jupiter,” Chip told TODAY Parents. “We were getting ready to come in when we heard a big explosion, and the house just blew up. We ran over there immediately and it was burning like crazy, and then we realized the family was still inside.”

The Dover boys used some furniture on the front porch to break through a window. Margo was on the other side of that window and they pulled her to safety as Joe called 911. However, Margo’s husband and the kids were still inside. The fire department and police arrived shortly after that and held Margo back who persistently tried to get past them to save her family.

LONGWOOD, Fla. — Authorities in central Florida say a German shepherd helped firefighters locate the two young children…

Posted by About German Shepherd Dog on Saturday, September 10, 2016

By this time the smoke had almost completely filled the house making it super difficult to navigate through the home. Fortunately, Margo’s German Shepherd dog named Maxx who was a retired police dog met the firefighters and lead them through the smoke to find the two children.

Due to the dog’s guidance, the firefighters were able to find the kids and pull them to safety before the fire destroyed the home. The family and Maxx was taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns. They all made a full recovery.