Sheriff Spokesman Says Bob Saget’s Case Is “Not Technically Closed”

Bob Saget / Facebook

Comedian and actor Bob Saget passed away on January 9th. He was found dead in his bed by hotel staff at the Ritz-Carlton in Orlando, Florida.

“We are devastated to confirm that our beloved Bob passed away today.  He was everything to us and we want you to know how much he loved his fans, performing live and bringing people from all walks of life together with laughter. Though we ask for privacy at this time, we invite you to join us in remembering the love and laughter that Bob brought to the world.”

Exactly one month after his death, on February 9th, his family released the following statement:

“Now that we have the final conclusions from the authorities’ investigation, we felt it only proper that the fans hear those conclusions directly from us. The authorities have determined that Bob passed away from head trauma. They have concluded that he accidentally hit the back of his head on something, thought nothing of it and went to sleep. No drugs or alcohol were involved.”

Following the release of the Saget family’s statement, Orange and Osceola Counties Chief Medical Examiner Joshua Stephany confirmed the autopsy results and stated that his testing was complete.

“In consideration of the circumstances surrounding the death and after examination of the body, toxicology analysis, histology, and a respiratory pathogen panel, it is my opinion that the death of Mr. Saget, was the result of blunt head trauma,” Stephany SAID. “His injuries were most likely incurred from an unwitnessed fall. A toxicology analysis did not reveal any illicit drugs or toxins. The manner of death is accident. Our condolences go out to Mr. Saget’s loved ones during this difficult time.”

PEOPLE reports that the Orange County Medical Examiner stated that the 65-year-old “had likely fallen backward and hit the back of his head. He had fractures to the back of his head and around his eyes at the time of his death.” In addition, “the actor had posterior scalp abrasions, subgaleal hemorrhage (which is blood that forms between skull and scalp), discoloration in the upper and lower eyelids due to skull fracture, subdural hematoma (which is a buildup of blood on the surface of the brain) and subarachnoid hemorrhage (which is bleeding in the space that surrounds the brain).”

While it was previously reported that the authorities have closed the investigation on his death, that might not be the case anymore.

CNN reached out to Orange County Sheriffs and asked if the death investigation case is closed and a spokesperson’s response was, “It’s actually not quite that simple.”

“There is no active investigation happening,” the spokesperson continued. “But the case is not technically closed.”

A source close to the situation revealed the CNN that “the sheriff’s office is expected to issue a final report on the death soon, perhaps as early as this week.

On February 23rd, PEOPLE released an article detailing the final hours before Saget’s death. They spoke with a Ritz-Carlton employee, who said, “He was cracking jokes, waving to people in the lobby. When people asked for selfies, he would run over and grab their phones to take the pictures with them, joking the whole time. He was a ball happy, positive energy.”

The last time he was seen on surveillance footage was when he walked to his hotel room, entering it at 2:17am and hanging a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door handle. The door would not be opened again until hotel security opened it and found Saget’s body in his bead.

PEOPLE reports that the authorities are now piecing together how a seemingly healthy man could die from a head trauma in just a few hours. They believe that he fell unconscious and hit his head on the marble bathroom floor. They checked every end table, as well as the counters in the bathroom and saw no traces of hair or blood.

Police believe that after he regained consciousness from the fall in the bathroom, and got into bed, where he once again lost consciousness and eventually died. According to PEOPLE“His time of death was estimated to be around 4:00 am, approximately 12 hours before his body was found.”