Dad Tells Son He Can’t Come Home After Spring Break Trip During COVID-19 Pandemic

chris.breezy.88 / Instagram

Matt Levine, a 21-year-old college student who goes to Springfield College in Massachusetts recently flew down to South Padre Island, Texas with his friends to enjoy a weekend of partying and indulging in Spring Break festivities.

His 52-year-old father, Peter Levine, told him not to go due to the coronavirus pandemic and contacted him every day in attempts to stop him. However, Matt ignored his father’s wishes and went anyways. This frightened his father because the coronavirus cases in the U.S. seemed to only be getting higher and higher. In fact, just last week the U.S. became the number one country in the world of reported coronavirus cases.

“I was aggravated.” Peter told the New York Post. “The news here was getting worse and worse. Matt sent me pictures of him and his friends congregating outdoors and listening to live music. It’s the scene you would not want to be in.”

Matt said that the fun lasted about four days before the police kicked him and everyone else off the beaches, bars, and clubs, and before long, it was like everyone left the island. Realizing the partying had come to a halt, Matt and his friends ended their trip early and got on a plane back to New York.

After Spring Break, Matt planned on going home to live with his parents since the COVID-19 outbreak had shut down his college for the semester. Unfortunately, the plane he was on had to reroute to Tennessee due to a coronavirus outbreak happening at the LaGuardia Airport in New York where he and his friends were supposed to land.

Matt called his dad and told him what happened and asked him to come pick them up in Tennessee. However, his dad said, “No chance!” and told the boys they would have to rent a car and drive themselves to Nanuet, New York, where Peter’s father lived.–WLB403CtTAGKuUF0V4IBw59nxT3qT52nbL3aaHcer2NCQ2A&type=1&opaqueCursor=Abr2ZTUd_5CWgRd4onjpmglK0pHuWefcwfvYKx-LTVcGNhIcqastlHPKAS0snOS9AvAChJAtDfdVC9GWM-brkrc3-2UNmp9sSso84sQhpfmxeTEo-1JySWkimS2RWX_CG8H_SG0hi5HtSsgNhsHE9lBLX875D85GCrU5zC205H8sPn_ZLncZsjQp9Kys4nG4-_55ll9IXLMpHFsWSvY8HR1PBI9B7AhHtN6aJoVdvhXIhYG1ImsSxXpzO6ZoQbKgOESG8Nye1-nTV3u6qYkSK4q9cggYRR-CnFL7adcvTYBApPBta_lZZ50CMZy_SFRS9jgFvoVJplQuzoJfWZtLyu6IKIJ78Y_QRSxDyccVAf8hnTUrvGaFQy9d6cLGesJb5aw-S2bQpLyBXadRR8xdVgw2WMDjMgtLcDbFhuhoPNno5424Wh1f95WPXUyYICwIRve3KzmcVyTpyklR9c0V6ghm_GKvxmjA09NMVQmaoewIcA&theater

Once the boys made the long drive to New York and pulled up in the driveway, Peter opened the front door and told the boys to stop right there. “Do not go any further!” he said. He told them that Matt’s elderly grandparents lived there and due to not listening to him they would not be allowed to enter Peter’s home. They would have to drive to their off-campus house near their college and stay there instead.

“I had filled the trunk of Matt’s car with groceries and left him an envelope containing $300 in cash,” Peter said. “All the guys’ keys were on the front seat. I love my son, but they were not sleeping here.”

He told the already-exhausted boys that if they had to pee before making the 2.5 hours trip to Massachusetts then they could use the bushes on his property. Two of the boys took him up on the offer. Peter said that the boys will have to stay there until their lease ends in June because none of their parents want them to come home, citing that “it’s too risky.”